Saturday, April 23, 2016

Review: How Few Remain

How Few Remain How Few Remain by Harry Turtledove
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's been a year since I've read this, so any review won't be detailed, but I loved the speculation here. There is work in it. Turtledove clearly thinks as a historian thinks. This training is ably put to use in describing what might have happenend, had the Confederacy won the Civil War and 20 years later, another one were to begin. Great portraits of Frederick Douglass and Theodore Roosevelt in particular. I learned more about these historical characters from their fictional mirrors here, than I can recall ever learning in school texts or other works of history. And the book is not as 'wild' as Guns Of The South, in that there is no time-travel conceit or anything of a sci-fi or fantasy bent. Just straight what-if enjoyment. Also the portrayal of Mark Twain as a San Francisco newspaper editor is quite entertaining.

View all my reviews